History

compiled by Mary Schramm and Mary Steeber

1907

A group of German Lutherans from Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota first met as a congregation in March 1907 in the Fraternal Hall which was at that time the Lamb-Davis Sawmill. They were part of the Lamb-Davis Lumber Company who moved to Leavenworth in 1902 and simply called themselves “Leavenworth Lutheran Church”.

A request was made to the Wisconsin Mission Board for a pastor and Martin Raasch, a young bachelor from Nebraska was sent. He lived first in a rented house, then in a small cottage located at 132 West Street built at his own expense. A Ladies’ Aid and Sunday School for children were formed and services were held twice a month, in German and English.

According to Wisconsin Synod records, “Martin Raasch was a traveling missionary in the true sense.” He served all of North Central Washington – Chelan, Douglas, Grant and Okanogan Counties which would be a big assignment even with today’s rapid transportation. Imagine going by train (Great Northern) to Wenatchee, then waiting for hours to make the connection by freight and passenger train to Okanogan, Quincy or Mansfield. From Quincy he was taken by horse and lumber wagon 15 to 20 miles southward, “…a lonely trail through sagebrush country. He was welcomed by devout German Lutherans who had emigrated from Russia.”

1907
1909

1909 has been mentioned as the year when the church was formally organized, but we have no actual record of this.

1909
1911

Reverend Raasch served faithfully until 1911, when he was called to a parish in Lake Mills, Wisconsin. When fire destroyed the sawmill and no other hall or place of worship could be found, the few members built a small church of their own in the shadow of the Cascade mountains and called it St. Paul’s. The church was dedicated March 5, 1911. The Reverend Fred E. Stern, a visiting pastor, delivered the sermon for the Dedication Service.

Sometime around 1911, we are told that the first pump organ was used. By the early 1930’s, it was moved from the church to the Parish Hall and later given to Mrs. George Dietsch, who had served for some time as Secretary to the Women’s Society (Ladies’ Aid).

1911
1912-1917

Pr. L. Ave Lallemant served the congregation from 1912 to 1914. Nothing other than his name is known from this time period. From 1914 to 1917 there are no names of pastors recorded although the name of Pr. G. Haase is noted on a list of pastors so he could possibly have served during this time. Records available are only financial. The salary in 1916 was $173.90 per year.

1912-1917
1918-1932

Wisconsin Synod records show that Pr. W. Lueckel served from 1918 to 1932. He was a friendly person, easy to be around. It has been told that when visiting a family who recently moved to the area from North Dakota and still living in a small cabin with apple boxes for chairs, Pr. Lueckel would simply come in, comfortably pull up a box and spend a pleasant time just talking. He also led a strong, well attended Sunday School. In 1920, the church was named St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran church. In 1922, a Parsonage was purchased at 132 West Street and later sold to Dexter and Fleta Emmons.

1918-1932
1932-1938

Pr. Elmer Henry Zimmerman served the Church from 1932–1937. In addition to Leavenworth, he also served churches in Mansfield and Withrow. It is not known how often each parish held services. Pr. Zimmerman was one who enjoyed working with his hands and was mostly responsible for building the first Parish Hall. Individuals who needed help with building or repairing their homes found their Pastor ready to advise and help. He also did some orchard work.

Pr. Zimmerman’s daughter, Marilyn Zimmermann McManus of Wenatchee, has given information and personal details about her father to the original Historian group as well as photos and information from the Wisconsin Synod. Carolyn Hansen Marshall remembers when Pr. Zimmermann was married. While he was bringing his bride home to the Parsonage on West Street, the young people “short-sheeted” the bed and hanged the Parson in effigy – the image dressed in the Pastor’s nightshirt. Carolyn, being the smallest of the crowd, was elected to crawl in a window and open the door for the rest. What a homecoming! Carolyn was the church organist as were Lila May Jones and Ruth Hogberg also played from time to time.

1932-1938
1939-1948

Pastor F. Tiefel is listed as Pastor during this time with Pastor E. Kirst serving from 1945-1948. The overlap could suggest that perhaps a substitute or possibly a co-Pastor was needed.

1939-1948
1948-1954

In 1948, the church wanted to become independent of the Wisconsin Synod and reorganize under the American Lutheran Church. Under the particular requirements needed, the Church, Parsonage and Parish Hall were sold to Dexter and Fleta Emmons, and then the Church and Parish Hall were repurchased for $1.00 (one dollar). A constitution and by-laws were adopted, the church took the name Faith Lutheran and was registered with the state of Washington.

The first pastor was Robert Oestreich who had been called from St. Paul’s Lutheran in Wilbur and Almira, Washington and Cashmere in 1942. He was instrumental in organizing Lake Chelan Lutheran Church and also “labored diligently” toward the organization of Faith Lutheran in Leavenworth” (according to The Golden Years Cashmere anniversary booklet). Pr. Oestreich is mentioned frequently in the records of the Church Council and Congregation. He was involved in several building plans “including a woodshed”. On January 23, 1949, the Congregation received a deed to the Church and Parish Hall. In the congregational meeting of that day, it was voted to send a note of thanks to the Emmons with a check for $1.00 and also a thank you note to Mr. and Mrs. Walter Wade, as they had arranged the sale.

Congregational notes from 1954 indicate Faith Lutheran was again without a pastor. In January or February (date not given), it was decided to “contact a minister for … services on March 15” to which the Blue Birds were invited. Records of Congregational Meetings skip to October 29, 1954, when it was decided “to move the date of the November (potluck) supper to November 19. At that time, Reverend Baseler and his family would be with us, as October 31 is Reverend and Mrs. White’s last Sunday with us.”

1948-1954
1954-1956

Pr. George Baseler from Clinton, Iowa, had been installed at Grace Lutheran in Cashmere on November 7. He began at Faith in Leavenworth that same month and worked faithfully in both parishes. Like the early pastors, he had an active part in repairing and maintaining church properties. In Cashmere, some people “remember Pastor George’s jazz piano”.

1954-1956
1956-1962

On May 5, 1956, Pr. Baseler installed his successor, Pr. Ernest E. Zellmer. The first years at Faith were apparently quite happy ones. Pr. Zellmer bought a home in town (unknown where) and moved from 208 Cedar (probably rented). He found Leavenworth a friendly community. Pr. Zellmer was apparently retired and had been called to “limited duty” in Cashmere in 1957, assisting Pr. Baseler. By 1961 his work at Leavenworth had become too burdensome.

There was much discussion at two special Council meetings in May and June, 1961, as to the fate of the Church. Should Leavenworth join with Cashmere to insure a better youth program and enough Sunday School teachers? It was decided to “try Cashmere for two months, August 1 – October 1”. The Council records end here, but the Women’s Society continues to record Pastor and Mrs. Zellmer’s attendance at Society meetings.

1956-1962
1963-1965

Pr. and Mrs. Luther Cronrath came to Cashmere in 1959 and served both Grace Lutheran there and Faith in Leavenworth. Luther’s parents, Pr. and Mrs. Herman Cronrath, retired in Cashmere, where they lived until 1983 or 1984. According to Cashmere’s booklet, The Golden Years, Pr. Luther was a capable pastor and an enthusiastic worker with young people. He is mentioned as an umpire for youth baseball games. Pr. Herman, though retired, seemed to tend duties in Leavenworth. Our records are a bit confusing as they often refer to “Pastor Cronrath” without designating which one. Both Cronraths were apparently well liked.

1963-1965
1965-1977

The last record of the Women’s Society (which became American Lutheran Church Women, ALCW) is dated June 15, 1965. The meeting was held at the home of Pr. Cronrath in Cashmere. It is not known if it was Luther or Herman Cronrath.

Although there is no exact date, Faith was closed in these next years. “In the middle 1960’s, an independent Lutheran pastor attempted to reactivate the Church but with no success” according to LIFE Survey, 1963. There is no record of who this pastor might have been – nor what is meant by an “independent Lutheran pastor.”

In 1973, a group of younger people who had moved to Leavenworth became interested in reopening the church. Newell and Nancy Arnstson, Tom and Jan Pickett and Mr. and Mrs. William Lampe are remembered as being active participants in this effort. A Leavenworth Echo article tells the story of the Church’s reopening in 1974 with a full-time pastor, Arnis Ohaks. “Pr. Arne” had spent time at Holden Village and lived on East Leavenworth Rd. in Werner Janssen’s house with his wife Sharon and young daughter, Sarah. A second daughter, Maren, was born in Leavenworth before they left in 1977.

1965-1977
1977-1979

Pr. David Gedrose served as full-time pastor during these years. He was unmarried and a small apartment was rented and furnished for him on Pine St. The old Parish Hall was torn down and a much more attractive and convenient one was built and became the Fellowship Hall. Rummage sales run by the ACLW in the Hall were the beginnings of fund-raising activities. Faith participated in the “Saturday School of Theology” held at Camp Field, Leavenworth.

1977-1979
1980-1982

Many people remember Pr. Robert J. Hoem (“Pr. Bob”) for his colorful and dramatic liturgical services as well as his talent as an organist and excellence as Bible teacher in his inspirational Thursday evening classes. As quoted in The Golden Years, Pr. Holm considered his major accomplishment at Cashmere and Leavenworth as centering on “liturgical development of worship and the strengthening of ecumenical relationships with the Roman Catholic and Episcopal traditions.”

1980-1982
1982-1984

The ordination and installation services for Pr. Gary Rothenberger took place at Grace Lutheran, Cashmere, on October 17, 1982. Pr. Rothenberger graduated from the University of South Dakota and Wartburg Seminary in Dubuque, Iowa. He served two years in the Army and has had practical experience in the building trade. He came to Faith from an interim pastorate in Moses Lake. His wife, Laura, was a Learning Disability teacher. They have a son, Andrew and daughter, Katherine who was born during the Cashmere/Leavenworth years.

In the fall of 1983, Adult Classes were held with Dr. Frederick (“Fritz”) Norstad’s “Slide Lectures on Awe and Wonder” as well as other individuals who led discussions and shared talents. Text Study with the Pastor was held at noon on Thursdays preceded by a sack lunch. A new cross was installed on the belfry and a beautiful new front door, designed by Rich Caemmerer and built by Reed Carlson.

In 1984, Faith separated from Grace in Cashmere when it voted to become an independent parish.

In these years, Faith members sold lefse at the town’s Autum Leaf Festival. Members spent many summer days / evenings making lefse to freeze in advance of the festival. The Lefse Booth was a very lively spot and a successful fundraising effort. It was also a time when the American Lutheran Church Women (ALCW) participated in the “Community Cupboard” at the Methodist Church as a service to migrants and unemployed families. There was much gained in the ecumenical understanding and cooperation.

1982-1984
1985-1991

Carl Florea became pastor in 1985. Pr. Florea grew up in Ephrata so coming back to Washington seemed right. He graduated from Luther Seminary in MN and had assignments in Montana, Louisiana, Spokane and Deer Park before coming to Faith. He brought his wife Debbie and three young sons Nathan, Micah and Aaron. Pr. Florea also brought an understanding of social issues in America and the world and how he perceived the role of Christians in them. He led the congregation in the development of a sense of nurturing and caring which would flow into the community. Under his leadership, Faith became one of only two congregations at the time to be a Reconciling in Christ congregation – accepting all people regardless of their sexual orientation.

Pr. Florea was known for excellent preaching. Everyone was in awe of his ability to memorize the Gospel message each Sunday. After leaving FLC as pastor, but not as a member, Carl stayed in Leavenworth as the Director of MEND, which includes the Community Cupboard and S.H.A.R.E. and made it into a larger and more viable ministry until 2007 when he took a similar job on Bainbridge Island, WA.

1985-1991
1992-1997

Michael Staudinger became the next pastor. Music and youth were important to Pr. Staudinger. He hired Rhona Baron as Choir Director who led a wonderful music ministry for over eleven years. During his tenure, Pr. Staudinger married Lisa and they had a son while here and another after they left. There was a growth spurt during his years which brought more young people into the congregation. He enjoyed working with the youth and hiking to commune with nature. He was also instrumental in forming the Upper Wenatchee Valley Habitat for Humanity affiliate. In 1993, the church’s murals were designed by local artist Rich Caemmerer and painted by members of Faith Lutheran. In 1997, Pr. Staudinger accepted a call to another church.

1992-1997
1997-1999

Except for an interim pastor for six months, Faith was without a pastor for two years. Three pastors in the congregation – Prs. Carl Florea, Bill Lehmann and John Schramm – took turns leading the congregation without compensation. The funds saved were used to start the Shalom Cross Cultural Ministries (see information under the Pr. Alexander F. Schmidt).

1997-1999
1999-2009

Pastor Alexander F. Schmidt (Pr. Alex) became pastor in September 1999. At the age of five, Pr. Alex and his family (his father, mother and two older sisters) moved to the Upper Valley from Germany. Pr. Alex attended Osborn Elementary, Peshastin-Dryden Junior High and High School. During this time, he and his family were parishioners at Faith. Shortly before becoming pastor of Faith, Pr. Alex and Stacey Barnhill were married in the church. Pr. Alex has three adult children and Stacey has one daughter, Grace, who was eight when they moved here.

With the funds saved during the interim years of 1997-1999, Shalom Cross-Cultural Ministries was begun in 2001. At first the ministry focused on Anti-Racism training and then expanded to include a weekly Free Clinic (now under MEND), ESL and Citizenship Classes. Some of the other accomplishments during Pr. Alex’s time have been the development of a new mission statement, a monthly book study in addition to the weekly book study and mid-week bible study groups, revitalization of the Sunday School program (from 3-4 children to as many as 30), revitalization of the high school youth program and updating of the Sanctuary and more. A Property Development Committee was created which was instrumental in purchasing the property next door for future church use (currently being rented), building a handicap ramp, remodeling the bathrooms to include handicap accessibility, adding a storage room and repainting the Fellowship Hall and Church.

1999-2009